23 August 2011

The Power of Words

"Let no currupt communnication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."  Ephesians 4:29 KJV


"Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk ever come out of your mouth, but only such speech as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it." Ephesians 4: 29 Amplified Bible


Thoughts: Words are very powerful. With one sentence we can build up or tear down a person. Although we can can easily see the effects of some words, others are not obvious. A simple, "you look nice in today" can brighten a person's day or a simple "I would never do what you're doing" can make a person feel bad about themselves and their decisions in life. In Ephesians, God tells us we should purpose our communications to lift up others. I admit I am guilty of unedifying speech and have been the victim of the same. It is puzzling to think about the cycle of words and their effects in our lives. When God connects people to us, it is so we all can strengthen each other, serve Him, bring other to Him, and see His face in heaven someday. How can we do that when our words hurt one another? How can we show Christ to others when our speech is that of the world and not of His Kingdom?


Prayer: God I ask you for forgiveness for any negative words I have cast into the world. I ask that you help me realize the people I have hurt with my negative words and give me the humility to ask them for forgiveness. I do not want to offend my brother or sister, I want to edify them and help them see you. God let my words reflect you in my life, let others see you through me. God I want a heart of compassion for your people like yours. Help me hide your words in my heart and soul so they guide my speech to others. In Jesus's name i thank you for those connected to me and I ask that you touch them as well. Thank you God, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment